Please take the time to prepare your quilt properly for shipping and quilting.
- Quilt top should be trimmed down to the final finished size. This should include a 1/4 to 1/2 inch allowance for the binding. I will not trim your quilt before quilting. I will trim it after quilting to the quilt edges at no charge if requested. All remaining backing and batting (if you provided) will be returned to you.
- Press the quilt top with seams open or to one side. Ensure there are no puckers in the quilt. Borders that do not lay flat could cause tucks, pleats or fullness in your quilt that could prevent it from laying flat after quilting.
- Trim all threads at the seams as well as the edges.
- If your quilt does not have an outside border, I highly recommend that you “stay stitch” slightly less than 1/4″ around the edge of your quilt to ensure seams do not pull apart. This stitching will be hidden in the binding.
- DO NOT sew embellishments such as pins, sequins, couching, and beads onto the quilt top before quilting is completed. They could harm a longarm quilting machine.
- Safety pin a note to the quilt identifying the “top” of the quilt. If your quilt will have curved corners, please indicate on the note. Do not cut the curves until after the quilting is completed.
Quilt Backing and Batting
- Quilt backing and batting must be 5″ larger than the quilt top on all sides. This allowance is used to attach your quilt to the longarm quilting frame. Anything less than 5″ could cause distortion of your quilt. All selvage edges should be removed as they are woven much tighter than the fabric and the backing fabric may not lay flat.
- You may provide your own batting or purchase from me. I use Hobbs and offer an 80/20 (80% long staple cotton/20% polyester), 100% cotton, 100% wool, and Thermore (for T-Shirt quilts). Please specify which batting you prefer. If you provide batting, ensure you provide quality batting such as Hobbs, Quilters Dream, or Warm.
- If your quilt backing has seams, please indicate which direction they should lay on the backing, horizontally or vertically.
- Trim all threads from seams on the backing material.
Shipping – Include the following:
- Quilt top
- Backing fabric
- Batting (if you are providing)
- Binding fabric (if requested). Please provide at least 1 yard of fabric for binding. I will return any unused fabric.
- Please fill out the order form and include in the package.
- A check for $50 for the deposit on your quilt. I will email you an estimate on the cost of quilting before I begin quilting. The remainder of the cost is payable upon completion before return of your quilt. If you decide for any reason that you don’t want me to finish your quilt, the $50 deposit (less shipping costs) will be returned to you with the quilt.
- I recommend that you package these items in a strong plastic bag before placing inside the box to protect the quilt from water damage.
- I also recommend that you DO NOT mark the outside label with “quilt” to protect from theft. Please consider insuring your package.
Lou’s Quilting Studio
7332 W. Magic Mountain Lane
Round Rock, Texas 78681
Thank you for your business. I look forward to working with you and completing your quilt to your satisfaction. I consider this a partnership to ensure you are happy with the the finished quilt and I will work with you throughout the process. I will send you an e-mail upon receipt of your quilt and upon completion. You will be notified when you quilt has been shipped. I will prepare an estimate of costs as well as quilting layout to ensure you are satisfied with the quilting patterns and layout. I will not begin the quilting process without your agreement to costs and layout. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or wish to discuss the longarm quilting process.